Feeds 5-6 people
1 lbs boneless chicken breasts or boneless thighs
1 lbs smoked sausage, cut to ¼-inch rounds
1 large tomato chopped
1 14-oz can chicken stock
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 celery ribs, chopped
5 garlic cloves
3 tsp parsley flakes
2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 cup brown rice cooked (prepared immediately prior to serving)
1 lbs shrimp (optional)
green onion for garnish
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the crock pot along with the sausage.
- Combine the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and the seasonings in a small mixing bowl.
- Add diced vegetables to the crock pot then top with the tomato mixture.
- Set your cook time. I cooked mine for 8 hours using frozen boneless chicken breasts. You can use thawed chicken breasts/thighs and cook for 4-6 hours on “high.”
- Once the crock pot has finished, use forks and shred the chicken in the pot.
- Adjust the flavoring and add the hot sauce.
- Optional: Cook ½ cup of brown rice separately. When the cooking time is done, fold the cooked rice into the crock pot.
Add hot sauce to adjust flavor!